Monday, February 11, 2008

tenure friends

Do you have a friend that you miss? Maybe a friend that you are so incredibly close to and have such a deep and profound love for? I am fortunate to have such a friend. It's amazing to me that this girl and I still talk. We dated for a little and after a realized love for someone else, I broke it off. Now, granted I was a young freshmen in college when this happened, but it is still a reality. It was rough waters ahead after that, and after not talking for a while we finally reconnected a couple weeks ago. It feels distinctly similar finding something you have lost. Like being years into manhood, and finding the forgotten teddy bear you cuddled with every night in your childhood. That feeling of happiness, redemption, and old feelings and memories come rushing back, and I welcome it with open arms. Back when we were in high school (she was one year younger than I) we were in an activity that brought us incredibly close. We traveled together, we talked constantly, and more importantly, the fabrics of our lives became intertwined because we had a genuine love and care for each other. We referred to each other as "tenure". It is defined as guaranteed permanent employment. It's a stretch of the definition, but you get the picture. In reflection, it is the "tenure friends" that really count. The friends that you put above everybody else in the world. Get some. Well as we are now split by the Mississippi and states away from each other, I am reminded of those times. Times of laughter, crying, yelling/jumping/screaming/fist pumping/catching/performing/blasting/WINNING. And as much as we won in the activity that we were in, it wasn't about the activity after all. It was about winning a friend. We could have lost every time we went out and at this point in my life there would be a big check mark in the Win Column. Not only winning her friendship, but the simple fact that she knows that I would die for her, travel five hours to her if she needed me, and always...ALWAYS take care of her. There is a very small number of people who come close to how much I care for her. This relationship is totally platonic, totally pure, totally loving, totally caring, totally selfless and it is definitely totally tenure.

This Is Pim. Love Eachother. Be Cool.

3 comments:

dani.schweiger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

she must be a very lucky girl :).

Unknown said...

This weekend i sat on the floor inbetween 2 dear friends, my back leaning on the legs of another and just an arms length away (or less) from 3 others...it was so right, so perfect. One giant embrace!
i've not hidden my lonely years in lincoln, away from friends.
What I was reminded of this weekend, is that although i am not in physical touch of them often, the hugs, held hands, cuddles we shared this weekend - they will keep me warm until the next embrace.
friends...what a blessing.