Monday, February 4, 2008

.Be You.


It's interesting what feelings can arise by conversation. It's the most simple of things isn't it? Just talking. We are subject to it every single day, and if you can get over the typical banter such as, "how's the weather?" or "so how about those cheating patriots getting crushed?" people have some amazing thoughts. Here's one. I was talking to one that I dearly love and as the typical, "hey, want some coffee?" conversation was going on she said something that I never would have thought. "I used to try so hard to be cool. I just wanted people to like me. I would do anything to be cool in those days". Nostalgia. And maybe nostalgia isn't the right word, because those days were not happy days for me. But for a couple seconds I got blasted to my past. To a time where I tried so hard to be cool...I wanted so much for people to like me that I would do anything. And as I sit here typing, thinking about the memories, regrets, of doing things against my personality just to look "cool", I wonder what cool really looks like. It is an appropriate thought, since I end our daily's with "be cool". Being cool is not something we do or do not do. It's not about smoking a cigarette because everyone around you is, or drinking so you move up on someone's personal ladder. It's not about being a democrat to rebel against your parents, or choosing republican because it is the social norm in your city. It's not about the clothes you wear, the car you drive, the music you listen to, or the boyfriend/girlfriend you have. Being cool starts inside. And I think everyone is cool in some way. Such as every girl is pretty in some way. If you look at girls, really look at them, not just outside, but inside, you will realize this. Each and everyone has something about them that is intrinsically beautiful. And we are cool in such a way. I believe it is God showing himself in each and everyone. I have a friend who might be the most socially awkward person ever. He can't speak well, girls do not dig him, and the way he dresses is completely vile. He is the bane of societies "cool" existence. He also is doing amazing things for starving children in Africa. He is in complete dedication to the needs of those less than him. He sacrifices much. And to me that is cool. When we realize that who we are as individuals are cool, we will make incredible strides. Don't try to be cool. Be yourself. You're cool. Don't do things to please people, do things because it is who you are. And to the girl that I had that conversation: You are not only a blessings, an incredible woman, and an inspiration, you are one of the coolest people I have ever met. And to the ambassador of "cool", the one who pressures, and who is faking it yourself: Jokes on you.

This is Pim. Love Eachother. Be Cool

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks.